The new public hall for St Mary's church in Wimbledon was commissioned by the parish for use by the church and the local community. The new building sits alongside the existing Grade II listed Church which was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1843, and completes a continuous line of ecclesiastical buildings that have occupied this site since 1086.

The design responds sensitively to its context by re-interpreting the materials used for the historic church building. In the new structure, white limestone ashlar contrasts with rough, blue/brown dry-stone wall on the street elevation, whilst a translucent glazed roof light provides a glowing counterpoint to the heavier stonework.

St Marys Church Hall
2001 - 2003